Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

1500pts: 1st Arborian Rangers Vs. Thousand Sons


Turn 1: Infantry Squad Seizes Statue Objective
This week, Brandon (Head of GMM Studios) fought a 1500 point battle at his office. We fought on urban terrain and had a great time. This was my second 6th Edition game, and the first one which was played to completion. I brought a three Vendetta list, one full infantry platoon (55 troops plus a Lascannon HWS), Harker's Veteran Squad, Straken's as my Warlord, a Lord Commissar, and Marbo.

Turn 2: Valkryies arrive, Marbo arrives and misses with Demo Charge

Turn 3: Platoon Command Squad deploys via grav-chute insertion;
fails to kill  any traitors with  Heavy Flamer & Flamer. 

Turn 3: Forces converge on the central objective. 

Turn 3: Epic Battle between Marbo and Sorcerer continues.
Marbo won and then got wiped out by Terminators.

Turn 4: Marbo gets wiped out by Terminators :)
Turn 6: Last Charge of Col. Straken
End result was two objectives (one barely ;)) in the hands of the Thousand Sons, and one objective in the hands of the Arborian 1st. A loss, but a well fought one which could have easily gone either way with a few different rolls of the dice.

Impressions of 6th Edition:
-Massed Psykers are a credible defense against Flyers. I lost all three during the battle. I did put two of them in Hover mode in order to deliver mass firepower on to the Terminator squads, which did the pilots no favors. Also, I forgot to take Deny the Witch rolls when my Vendettas were targeted.

-It took over three hours to play a 1500 point game :/. Of course, we were looking up rules frequently.

-Move & Shoot games are so much more fun than any previous edition of 40k: Rapid Fire, Overwatch, and Snapshot make the game so much better.

Overall Tactics:
-I should have kept my infantry all on foot, instead of keeping 25 of them in reserve aboard the Vendettas. One Vendetta got taken out before the troops had a chance to deploy, the Platoon Command Squad miffed their one chance at glory by failing to kill a small Thousand Son squad, leaving only one Infantry Squad to hold the central objective.

-Vendettas should NEVER get placed into Hover Mode. They will die. /endstorybro

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like it was a great battle! And the terrain looks nice too. Glad to hear you say that about the psykers as well since I just invested in a squad of them - and I'm also glad to see that it's not just my flamers that can never kill anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was a great start to 6th Ed. Terrain was all airbrushed by GMM studios, so you KNOW its good.

      Also, FYI, I've changed my blog URL to http://ig4tw.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the report. Nice armies, great table!

    ReplyDelete